Monday, January 09, 2006

Get a MOVE on.

I've signed up to sub with an orchestra and now it's a game of uterine chicken. The concert is on my due-date, and this at least gives me something formal and scheduley to think of in case the kid dawdles.

I was a champion daydreamer/staller myself. My mom had to come in my room and remind me to put on the other sock and get going many an elementary school morning. It wasn't that I was a slacker. Well, it wasn't just that anyway. I would start to think about something, or get absorbed in a randomly generated memory. A screen saver for my mind.

This still happens from time to time when I'm doing something inane like driving or taking preliminary exams for my doctorate. I somehow started to think about the time in my freshman year in Texas when I overslept and had to make a mad dash to get on the airport bus with the orchestra for our tour of Spain. A friend of a friend had to scream across campus with me and my ridiculous luggage in her convertible. Have you ever had hundreds of people watch your awkward bed-head self wrestle way too much junk toward their impatiently idling bus? Most of my memories of Texas are vaguely uncomfortable in a similar manner. Freshman years do tend to suck, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, don't you?