Monday, February 13, 2006

I'm in a CLASS! For Learning!

I went to class yesterday. My brain, it was in use, the light was on, the generator running.

Our friend Dan is leading Free Will and Determinism and I found it really interesting. He's compiled a bunch of readings (I'm 3 classes behind) and is summarizing the differing views.

His main point thus far has been that what most people really care about when they think of these things is not freedom but responsibility. They want to know if they will be made to suffer just consequences for their actions or if they are absolved due to their lack of true control.

J and I were talking about it in Red Robin after church and one of the questions I have is this: if it is our "sin nature" that leads us to choose evil and to therefor deserve consequences since we did have a choice, and if Jesus was fully God and fully man, did Jesus have a sin nature? Because how can he be both the ultimate good and contain a proclivity toward sin?

Another interesting thing I hadn't heard before was that when you are "making a choice", what you are really doing is examining your inner architecture (determined landscape) to see which choice fits the way you are set up. There is no true ambiguity, only a lack of self-knowledge in certain areas. Some would go so far as to say that the way you are made in the beginning and the things that are allowed to happen to you determine your wiring, freeing you from any real responsibility for your actions.

It was at this exact minute that Toby's digestive tract added his personal comment, providing comic relief to our philisophical jaunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, don't you?